KINDNESS

 By Salama Tisan Peter

My mum told us {my elder ones and I}, that while she was young, there was this practice that was rampant: whenever a family in a compound house was hosting a guest/visitor, the neighbors would cook for the guest separately and present it to the guest. I always think about this and I truly wish we could continue this trend, although I must say that on two occasions, I have gone to visit close relatives and I have been treated this way by their neighbors. The first one bought me a carbonated soft drink and the second offered me five slices of bread and tomato-fish sauce. I must confess that I love this act of kindness and I trust God to also replicate it as He enables me.

Defining ‘Kindness’ can pose a great difficulty because of the similarities in its qualities with that of love. This is why Apostle Paul told the Corinthians in 1 Corinthians 13:4 that love is kind. I think that if kindness stands before a mirror, its reflection will be love. The meaning of kindness is broad and full, and is often translated as steadfast love, faithfulness, loyalty, graciousness and goodness.

Kindness is honoring both the young and the aged, loving them, providing them with company as they advance in age and availing them with other necessary things, like Ruth did to her mother-in-law. It is hosting strangers who may be in need of shelter and food just as Abraham, Rahab and Lot did. The Bible gives us a bonus in this aspect that we may even be hosting angels and that in itself is a blessing. Kindness is being like the Good Samaritan who cleaned up the wounds of the victim of an armed robbery attack and later took him to where he was treated and cared for and even paid the bills. Kindness is loving and praying for our enemies even at the point of being killed by them, like Stephen. Kindness is telling others about the love of Christ Jesus.

A line of one of my favorite worship songs, “Ten Thousand Reasons”, talks about God’s Heart being kind. And my thought is that, we all can claim to be kind, but why are we doing those kind acts? Are our hearts and motives right before God? Are our hearts truly kind? It is amusing that our marking scheme is not the same with God’s. God doesn’t just want an outward show of kindness, but a kindness that flows from the heart.

Another area of kindness that isn’t too popular is speaking kind words. Words are powerful; the Bible concludes that words could either give life or death. I have said quite a number of words that were not kind and I have received unkind words from people, but I believe that it is time we break this cycle. I believe that there is way we can say harsh things in a soothing way, we can coat our words with sweetness even while rebuking people. It is sheer hypocrisy to say kind words about people in their presence and say unkind words about them when they are not around.

God wants to teach us how to speak kindly to and about people. I love this prayer that David prayed in Psalm 19, “Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, o Lord”. I pray that this also becomes our heart cry in Jesus’ name.

Question

Many youths believe that every act of kindness from the opposite gender comes with an ulterior motive. As a believer who understands the biblical meaning of kindness, how best can you disabuse their minds from this belief?

(Not more than 100 words) Avoid plagiarism!

Send answers to this Whatsapp number 07031096273

Deadline for submission: Wednesday, 21st February 2024, on or before 3pm


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EMBRACING THE DIVINE LOVE: A SOURCE OF STRENGTH AND RENEWAL

FAITHFULNESS

JOY