Just Human by Akinyemi Mary Stephanie



Just Human by Akinyemi Mary Stephanie

I've lost count the number of times
I mistook Wednesday for Friday.
It gets confusing when it's like my life is in a limbo,
Where I don't keep record of the happenings around me.
Alas, the world where people who are supposed to love you
and lookout for your best interest are also the ones who hurt you More.

How do I explain to my sister that her husband
wants something from me that he could get easily from her without much fuss?
How do I say I wish the best for him
when every time  I see him?

I just wish he could disappear from the surface of the earth
without dying so I don't feel the guilt for his death
And then search in my eyes for the tears I long to cry
For all the years he touched me without my consent,
For the bitter taste in my mouth I feel anytime I want to ask him for help
and then he starts with his definition of love -
I'd say lust,
For the days I wished I never had to be dependent on anyone.
Only then can I say adios in peace.
For he was a good man fighting with his own demons
but wasn't strong enough to overcome them.
He was just human like me.


Synopsis
Miss Akinyemi Mary Stephanie opens up in her poem to boldly speak for those who can't speak. Even though they are victims, those who abuse them also need help. It can only come as death, punishment or therapy. They are both just human


About the poet
Akinyemi Mary Stephanie is a writer and literary critic and counselor. She is currently a 400L Student of A.B.U, Zaria where she studies Public Administration. Miss Akinyemi is also holding a post at F.C.S Counseling Unit for the 2019/2020 Spiritual Session.

Send us a Mail to get in touch.
Don't forget to Comment and Share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EMBRACING THE DIVINE LOVE: A SOURCE OF STRENGTH AND RENEWAL

FAITHFULNESS

THE IDEA OF PURPOSE