WORDS BEYOUND WORDS By Benjamin Bala H.



My father used to tell me when I was a child, that I will not understand these things.  He used to say that all the spanks, slaps and shouts were meant to mould me into the perfect being. I clocked eighteen, still they seemed so complex and abstract. I wondered what these things were. When it got to my troat, I would yell and say;
 "You think you know better than I do? Do  You think you know me more than I do?  It's my life! , its my time! , you try to control me so I would  become you. No!!!"...
All I ever wanted was to be free.  But come to think of it,
"Was I right, or wrong? Could I even survive a day without him around? Am I truly destined to be free? "
I have had the difficulties myself  understanding these complexities. Yet whenever he spoke he would  say " No!  be better.  These things will not make sense to you right now ,  but someday, they will". By 25 I had evolved. I went into the world, got exposed, met slot of people, learnt their ideologies, known the differences all just to sort it out. And still, I couldn't bring myself to the conclusion, "what does it mean?  where do I stand? what is my essence?.
I watched my son look me in the eyes, just like I looked into the eyes of my father when I was his age. Proudly in shame and same manner,  I muttered the same words to his ears. I watched him grow just like my father did I.  At eighteen, he told me the same things I told my father, and yes I told him he was too young to know all these things. So did I, I never knew what they meant. Maybe my father was right. Maybe I have failed in my time, Or maybe, I am still a child.
I begun to ponder on these things and why it was so. I looked at myself in the mirror, how far I have come. Behold,  I saw a strand of the grey. At that instant I felt the wisdom born within me. I can see it clearly now. All it took was father's eyes, my eyes and the eyes of my son. No wonder they say "what the elders see, even if you could climb the tallest tree, you will never see". I recollected through the flash,  how I only saw it through my eyes. I regretted the past and all that I had failed to do,  I envy the present and fear he doesn't end up like me.
######
John, my Grandfather said to me. You will be shocked to find this strange. I hope you learn from our mistakes and never do the same. I hope you will always imitate the good we have done. The essence of this life is for you to live it. It belongs to you, embrace it and live it by any means necessary. Forsake not the words of your father, obey your mother and do whatever it is that pleases you most. Love your friend, your neighbour, your brother and your sister as your own blood. Don't loose their train of love and trust, for it will be hard to get back on. They are your weakness and your strength. Some will surely leave but some will stay. They will stab you and they will heal you. Though the wounds may hurt, it will one day heal. The scars will remind you how much it cost.
In this know that as long as you have life, you will never be free. It will give and take whenever it please. Nothing is free, earn it.
What you have is never truly yours and yours alone. Even your life is a rent. The difference is how it is spent. So spend each moment like its your last. Invest in it wisely, that you may not loose it foolishly. For nothing without worth is treasure.
Just as I have done, speak these words to those after you, teaching them to learn from you and those before you. Only then shall we rest in our today knowing that the circle of our lives continues through tomorrow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EMBRACING THE DIVINE LOVE: A SOURCE OF STRENGTH AND RENEWAL

FAITHFULNESS

THE IDEA OF PURPOSE